Last Updated: May 6, 2021
Our Approach to Privacy
We collect certain information through our websites (located at kingsdown.com, kingsdownmattress.com, and zedbed.com), and the products and services provided through our websites (collectively, the “Websites”). We do not sell or rent your information to any third party. We never disclose any information to third parties for a third party’s direct marketing purposes.
What Personal Information We Collect
We collect the following personal information from users who buy or register our products or services through the Websites.
We collect the following types of personal information:
Identification and Order Information. As part of the order process, we ask you to provide us with certain personal information to allow us to authorize and process the order, ship the order to you and communicate with you regarding the order. Such information may include your name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number. When you submit an order, we also record the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the computer used to place the order. In the event that a credit card is used as payment, the credit card number, expiration date, and security code are recorded.
bedMATCH® Information. In order to provide you our bedMATCH® mattress selection service, we may collect personal information such as height, weight, clothing size, age, pain criteria, and lifestyle information. The information is collected only to determine the best sleep system for you.
Gift Card Information. If you purchase a gift card online, you are asked to provide information for the recipient. In the event of a misplaced receipt or gift card, we may inform the gift card holder of the purchaser’s name.
Relationship Information. We may collect information regarding your inquiries, purchases, and regional location, to allow us to offer you products and services that may interest you.
Product Registration Information. We use product registration forms on our Websites to allow you to register your products for customer service and warranty purposes. We do not collect sensitive personal information such as financial information in these registration forms.
Employment Candidacy Information. We collect contact and resume information as part of submissions for employment opportunities.
Website Usage Information. We collect browsing and system information (e.g., your browser type, IP address, and the referring URL) to personalize and optimize your website experience, and statistical information about use of our Websites (e.g., such as the time users spend at the site and the pages they visit most often) to help us understand usage trends so that we may improve the Websites. See the Cookies and Web Beacons section below for more information.
Should you need to update or correct any of your personal information that we may hold, please contact us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy.
How We Use Personal Information
In general, we collect your information to provide you with our products and services and to improve those products and services to better serve you as a customer. Specifically, we may use your information for the following purposes:
- Provide you with products or services, which you have purchased or for which you have subscribed.
- Processing of order and payment information.
- Provide customer support and service (e.g., warranty service).
- Manage customer relationships and communicate with you, including responding to your inquiries and information requests.
- Monitor, customize, and improve our communications with you.
- Perform marketing, including interest-based marketing and advertising.
- Administer your participation in surveys, promotions, and offers.
- Customize and improve communication content and your experience with us.
- Notify you of recalls or safety issues.
- Operate our Websites, including online registration processes (e.g., for product warranty) and personalized features.
- Evaluate any application by you for employment with Kingsdown.
- Comply with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements, including as part of an investigation of a security incident or cooperation with governmental authorities pursuant to a legal matter.
- Comply with any “Unsubscribe”, “Do not email”, or other non-solicitation requests.
- Comply with any contractual requirements under contracts entered into with you.
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of our company, our customers, or others.
We will not use any information provided by you through the Contact Us forms of our websites or via telephone for unsolicited marketing purposes.
We may anonymize or aggregate your information in a way that it can no longer reasonably be associated with you. We may use anonymized or aggregated information or share it with third parties for any legitimate business purpose, including to: help us understand trends and customer needs; assist in product selection, ordering, and sizing; introduce new product and service offerings; and optimize our websites’ rankings in third party search engines.
How We Share Personal Information
We do not sell or rent any information regarding our customers to any third party. We never disclose any information to third parties for a third party’s direct marketing purposes.
Service Providers. We may share the information we collect from and about you with companies or individuals that provide services or perform functions that enable us to serve you. To help us better serve you, we may combine information we get from you with information about you we get from third parties. These functions or services provided by other companies may include order fulfillment, package delivery, communications, postal or email delivery, customer service, data analysis, credit or payment processing, and the like. We will only share a limited amount of personal information with our service providers, as is required for processing purposes. We require all our contractors to agree to protect personal information using safeguards reasonably similar to ours. Further, we require our service providers to restrict any use of such personal information to the purposes for which we have engaged the service provider.
Gift Cards. In the event of a misplaced receipt or gift card, we may inform the gift card holder of the purchaser’s name.
Government and Legal Purposes. We reserve the right to disclose your personally identifiable information in special cases, such as when required by law, to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on us, to enforce or apply applicable terms and conditions and other agreements, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of our company, our customers, or others.
Sale, Transfer, or Financing of Business. We may share your personal information to potential purchasers or lenders in connection with a proposed corporate or financing transaction. Such transactions include, but are not limited to, the merger or sale of Kingsdown (or a relevant part of its business), the sale of all or substantially all of Kingsdown’s assets, or in the event of Kingsdown’s bankruptcy. Prior to disclosure, we will require all the recipients of personal information to sign agreements in which they promise to protect personal information using safeguards reasonably similar to ours and to restrict any use of the information to the purposes of evaluating the transaction or, should the transaction be consummated, to the purposes for which the information was collected.
Aggregated Data. We compile aggregate usage statistics of our Websites, products and services from data collected through or in connection with the Websites (e.g., through website cookies). We may publish those statistics or share them with third parties, but they do not include personal information in a form identifiable to you.
Employment Opportunities. Personal information provided by you to us in relation to an employment opportunity may be shared with Kingsdown’s Human Resources personnel and specific management personnel that have a need to view the information as it relates to the employment opportunity. If the hiring process is successful, we may use the personal information you provided to us for the purposes of establishing, managing, or terminating the employment relationship.
We may use one or more third-party online advertising networks to serve ads on our behalf on the Internet. The third-party network may collect de-identified information about your visits to our Websites and other websites, and your interaction with our ads. This information is collected through the use of pixel tags, cookies, or web beacons which are industry standard technologies used by most major web sites. The third-party network may use this information to provide ads about our products or services that may be of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and your choices about not having this de-identified information used by our third-party service providers, please click here: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
Additionally, we use your personal information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
– Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
– Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
– Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
You can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
How We Secure Your Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. We utilize reasonable measures including physical, technical, and administrative controls to protect personal information. Although we strive to use appropriate measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risks represented by the processing and the nature of the personal information to be protected, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. By using our Websites, you acknowledge and agree that we make no such guarantee, and that your use of our Websites is at your own risk.
Retention of Your Personal Information
We keep personal data only for as long as required to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected. However, in some circumstances, we may retain personal data for other periods of time, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax and accounting requirements, or if required to do so by a legal process, legal authority, or other governmental entity having authority to make the request, for so long as required. In specific circumstances, we may also retain your personal data for longer periods of time corresponding to a statute of limitation, so that we have an accurate record of your dealings with us in the event of any complaints or challenges. When personal information is no longer necessary for such purposes, we will take steps to have it deleted, destroyed, erased, aggregated, or made anonymous.
Visitors Outside the United States
Newsletter and Communications with You
We may email you to provide you with notifications and updates related to your transaction or ordered products, about your experiences with Kingsdown products, or to respond to your requests or inquiries. We may also contact you to correct account errors or to supply important information that we deem relevant to you.
Further, when you register for product information or place an order, we may send you our email newsletter or information about special sales or promotions. If you decide that you do not wish to receive such emails, you may unsubscribe by using the clearly-marked opt-out instructions at the bottom of the email.
Cookies and Web Beacons
A “cookie” is a text file that contains a small amount of information. When you visit a website, the website may ask your browser to store cookies on your device in order to remember information about you, such as your language preference or login information. Upon subsequent visits to the same website, your browser sends these cookies back to the website so that the website may take this stored information into account, by for instance, presenting the website in your preferred language or automatically recognizing you as a prior user of the website.
Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize your device, allow you to navigate between pages efficiently, remember preferences, and generally improve the user experience. We use session cookies to identify items in which you have expressed an interest while visiting our site. Our cookies are not used to identify, save, or retrieve personal financial information. In order to take advantage of all of our website features, your browser should be set to accept cookies.
Please be advised that certain functionalities of the Websites may not operate properly without the acceptance of cookies.
Privacy Notice for Canadian Data Subjects
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
Keeping your personal information accurate and up-to-date is very important. To access, verify, or correct your personal information collected by Kingsdown, please contact us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy.
To protect your privacy, you may be required to provide authenticating information prior to gaining access or making changes to your personal information. We will respond to all requests to review or request changes to personal information within 30 days. In some cases we may not be able to allow you to access certain personal information in certain circumstances (e.g., if the file contains personal information of other persons, or where required by law). In such event, we will provide you with a reasonable explanation of why it is not possible to grant access to your personal information.
To the extent permitted by law, Kingsdown assumes no responsibility for verifying the ongoing accuracy of personal information.
Privacy Notice for European Data Subjects
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), enforceable as of May 25, 2018, imposes additional requirements upon companies to strengthen the security around and enhance the protection of personal data of residents in the European Union. For individuals in the EU/European Economic Area (EEA), here are details about how we use your personal data that we process as a data “controller” under the GDPR.
Use of Personal Data
Our use of your personal data is justified on the following legal bases:
- the use of your personal data is necessary to perform a contract with you or take steps to enter into a contract at your request (i.e., because you have purchased something from us or requested information);
- the use of your personal data is necessary for us to comply with a relevant legal obligation;
- the use of your personal data is in our legitimate interests, subject to your interests and fundamental rights, and notably our legitimate interest in using applicable data to conduct and develop our business activities; or
- you have consented to the use.
We use the personal data we collect to:
- conduct and develop our business with you and with others; and
- fulfill the purposes set forth in “Newsletter and Communications With You” above.
We also may collect personal information such as height, weight, clothing size, age, pain criteria, lifestyle information, etc., which is collected only to determine the best sleep system for you. We do not sell this personal information. Note: Personal information that you provide will assist us in selecting the sleep system most suitable for you; however, these products are not intended as a substitute for medical care or equipment. Specific medical conditions and needs should always be addressed with your personal physician or health care provider.
In accordance with our legal obligations, we may also transfer your personal data, subject to a lawful request, to public authorities for law enforcement or national security purposes, and also as set forth in “Disclosure to and from Third Party Companies” above.
Additional disclosures or information about processing of personal information related to specific websites, mobile applications, products, services, or programs may be provided to you. These may supplement and/or clarify our privacy practices in specific circumstances and provide you with additional choices as to how we may process your personal information.
Subject to applicable law, you may have some or all of the following rights available to you in respect of your personal data
- to obtain a copy of your personal data together with information about how and on what basis that personal data is processed;
- to rectify inaccurate personal data (including the right to have incomplete personal data completed) ;
- to erase your personal data (in limited circumstances, such as where it is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed);
- to restrict processing of your personal data under certain circumstances
- to port your data in machine-readable format to a third party (or to you) when we justify our processing on the basis of your consent or the performance of a contract with you;
- to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data (where that processing is based on your consent); and
- to obtain, or see a copy of the appropriate safeguards under which your personal data is transferred to a third country or international organization.
In addition to the above rights, you have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to any processing of your personal data for which we have justified on the basis of a legitimate interest, including profiling (as opposed to your consent) or to perform a contract with you. You also have the right to object at any time to any processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, including profiling for marketing purposes.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority for data protection.
In relation to any of these rights, please contact us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy. Please note that we may request proof of identity, and we reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, especially if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. We will endeavor to respond to your request within all applicable timeframes.
Privacy Notice for California Residents
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. In addition to our Privacy Notice for California Residents (below), you can learn more about your California privacy rights by visiting https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/privacy-laws.
Information We Collect
Our Websites collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“personal information”). In particular, our Websites have collected the following categories of personal information from its consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
Category A: Identifiers; Examples: A real name, Internet Protocol address, email address, or other similar identifiers; Collected: YES; all of the above.
Category B: Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)); Examples: A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories; Collected: YES; name, address, telephone number.
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law; Examples: Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information); Collected: NO
Use of Personal Information
We may use, or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a price quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose [or sell your personal information, subject to your right to opt-out of those sales (see Personal Information Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights)]. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. [The CCPA prohibits third parties who purchase the personal information we hold from reselling it unless you have received explicit notice and an opportunity to opt-out of further sales.]
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy. Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to [45/90] days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance, specifically by electronic mail communication.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Personal Information Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights
If you are 16 years of age or older, you have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time (the “right to opt-out”). We do not sell the personal information of consumers we actually know are less than 16 years of age, unless we receive affirmative authorization (the “right to opt-in”) from either the consumer who is between 13 and 16 years of age, or the parent or guardian of a consumer less than 13 years of age. Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time. To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may submit a request to us by contacting us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy.
Once you make an opt-out request, we will wait at least twelve (12) months before asking you to reauthorize personal information sales. However, you may change your mind and opt back in to personal information sales at any time by contacting us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy. We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Websites that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at the coordinates listed in the Contact Us section of this policy.
We do not knowingly collect, use, store, or share the personal information of children under 16 years. If you are under the age of 16 years, please do not provide us with any personal information, even if prompted by us to do so. If a child under the age of 16 has provided Kingsdown with personal information through our Websites or other services, a parent or guardian may contact Kingsdown ATTN: Privacy to request that the information be deleted from our records. Following receipt of such a request, we will make reasonable efforts to delete the child’s information from our records.
PO Box 388
Mebane NC 27302